Ithaca Nut Brown Ale



Origin: USA
Type: Brown Ale
Color: Golden
Alcohol content: 5.4%
Recommended serving temperature: 7ºC/45ºF
Brewery: Ithaca Beer Company
Webpage: http://ithacabeer.com/category/beers/year_round/

I woke up this morning feeling a bit nutty, I do not know, maybe it is the heat, or the fact that I slept longer than usual.

In keeping with that, I have chosen to write today about a nutty brown ale which I quite enjoy, the Ithaca Nut Brown Ale, which I first tried last Christmas in New York.

I was finishing lunch with my girlfriend at this place whose name I sadly do not remember, but which had a pretty good beer selection. I had already had a couple of beers with lunch but I was feeling greedy, so I decided I would get myself a third beer, but this time something darker which I could still enjoy when the deserts came.

Among the dark beers I saw, this one was the one that caught my eye. I do like nuts, some of my best friends are nuts, maybe this beer is for me, I must have thought. Talk about good marketing. In any case, I was not disappointed at all.

This reddish brown beer pours with very little foam of a cream color. Despite this lack of foam, you can see a certain amount of carbonation going on, with bubbles coming up slowly from the bottom.

Its smell, after a hearty lunch hosed down with a lager and an IPA, was a welcome change.

The first thing you find upon pouring it are the toasted smells, nuts and coffee. However, after just a couple of seconds of settling down and airing out, you start to find the sweeter aromas of the malts unfolding. You then start to smell things like dark chocolate and caramel, which together with the nuts and the coffee give you a sudden urge to be done with the more salty and savory part of your food and have something sweet.

This urge continues as you start to drink it, the flavor, although not exactly the same, being in keeping with the smell.

It starts out sweet and toasty, like hazelnut coffee, but it soon takes a slightly bitter turn becoming more similar to black coffee as the sweetness fades. This bitterness, which is there until the finish, makes it less satiating than a purely sweet beverage would be, something to be appreciated after a hefty meal.

In fact this beer is pretty easy to drink, despite the noticeable carbonation. It is flavorful but not thick in consistency and strikes a nice balance between sweetness and bitterness, making it go down pretty seamlessly. Much more seamlessly than its obvious pairing, the brownie, which I was not able to finish. It was simply not as delicious as the beer itself.

Comments