Belzebuth



Origin: France
Type: Strong Belgian Ale
Color: Dark amber/ocher
Alcohol content: 13%
Recommended serving temperature: 8ºC/46ºF
Brewery: Brasserie Grain d'Orge

I have decided to pay homage today to those times when you hit the local supermarket or beer store, looking for the beer with the highest alcohol grade you can find. This is always an exercise in fearlessness, and often times also one in temerity. It is thanks to this frame of mind  that I have had the dubious pleasure of tasting things like the Grolsch Kanon. However it is also thanks to this that I have gotten to taste things like the Kasteel Tripel.

It is in one of those fearless moments when I first crossed paths with Belzebuth.

I was in Amsterdam at the time. I had gone with a friend to the Bierkoning to stock up for an evening of debauchery... I mean, beer exploration, and after having picked up our current usuals, we set off investigating.

I have to admit, the Belzebuth almost immediately caught our attention for several reasons. The first and most obvious one is because of its alcohol content (13%, pretty substantial in Belgian style ales), but the second one, the one which finally swayed us, was that it was French. I am not, by any means, saying that the French do not make great beers, they do (some already in this blog, some still to come). I am just saying that the Belzebuth was, upon superficial ocular inspection, the only French beer available, other than Kronenbourg in the shop. Since we had beer from many origins in our selection but not from France, we decided to go for it.

What we purchased I have to say, pleasantly surprised us, expecting as we were some sort of exacerbated French Duvel knock off. It is nothing of the sort.

This is a beer with a dark amber tone, almost ocher and a slight haze. It has a pretty reduced amount of foam, of a creamy beige color.

Its smell is of honey and caramel, that is, pretty sweet, nothing in it giving away the amount of alcohol it contains. That I feel, was my greatest surprise. I did not however, as in other occasions, let myself be duped by the smell and become overconfident enough to take a big swig from it, forewarned as I was by the big 13% on its top label. 

The defining character in its taste is also the sweetness. The caramel that I appreciated in the smell is still present there, making this beer sweet and almost thick. Nevertheless, the honey is not noticeable anymore, and it is instead replaced by a subtle herby and somewhat spicy taste. This helps to take some edge off of the sweetness, which is otherwise ever present in this beer.

These flavors are coupled in the end with a sharp touch of alcohol which comes to remind us that, despite its sweet exterior, this beer means business, and a bitter aftertaste which makes you forget about just how sweet the experience is at the beginning. 

All in all this is a perfectly good beer, especially if your aim is to get drunk a little faster than usual. Which is something that would happen a little faster though if it were served in 33 cl. bottles rather than 25, but I guess this is just nit-picking. You can't win them all.

Comments