Goose Island IPA



Origin: USA
Type: English style IPA
Color: Amber
Alcohol content: 5,9%
Recommended serving temperature: 10ºC/50ºF
Brewery: Goose Island Beer Co.
Webpage: http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/india_pale_ale/18.php

This IPA was my choice on the first stop in the Original Pub Tour of Charleston, the Mad River Bar and Grille.



We had been walking around downtown Charleston for a bit and waiting for the tour to start, so by the time we made it to the bar I was already quite thirsty. This beer was almost like a godsend for me at that point.



It is an amber colored beer with a pretty decent sized soapy white head of foam and a soft citric smell to it. The softness of the smell makes it very appealing when you are thirsty, so I took a big gulp from it to start (not the best idea when you are trying 5 different beers).



What I got from that big gulp was a mouthful of something that tasted quite different than its smell. I was expecting to get a bit of a citrusy taste, but it was actually much more herbal and floral. 



Indeed, herbs and flowers, especially the former, clearly dominate its taste. This in my opinion also favors its softness, inasmuch as citric flavors are often more intense. I do not think I at least have ever tasted a beer that made me think "the herby taste makes it too strong".This does not mean, of course that I do not like strong tasting beers, or even citric flavors, rather the contrary, but there are times when a soft taste of herbs is what you want in a beer.



This softness to its taste is mixed with a crisp dryness to it, which together with its bitterness balances it out and gives it character. This I think was mainly what allowed me to pace myself on the next swig (okay I guess the fact that my thirst was starting to get quenched also had a little bit to do with that, but you know...) and enjoy it more calmly.



The idea that I came out with is that the note that characterizes it the most is its balance. Nothing sticks out of it especially, it has a soft smell of citrus which disappears into an equally soft taste of herbs and flowers, but the memory of which blends well into its hoppy bitterness, which together with its dryness gives character and strength to the softness of the taste and smell.



This makes it a very nice IPA to drink, easy and enjoyable. Of course one that goes well with nachos with cheddar ("what does not go well with nachos with cheddar??" you may ask... a very valid point), but which also stands well on its own as a simple beer to quench your thirst. A very good start to the tour.





Comments