Bier en Eetcafé Gollem - Antwerp





What: Beer cafe
Where: Antwerp, Belgium (28 Suikerrui)
Hours: 12 pm to 12 am Monday and Tuesday, 12 pm to 1 am Wednesday and Thursday, 12pm to 3 am Friday, Saturday and Sunday

It won't come as news to anybody reading this blog that I'm a big fan of the great Gollem in Amsterdam. That's where I first tried some of my favorite beers, like Brugge Tripel, Rochefort 10, or Oud Zottegems Bier.

Now, I was aware that aside from the location I used to go to in Raamsteg, they had a couple of others in Overtoom and in De Pijp. However, what I was not aware of is that they have now ventured outside of the Netherlands and opened up shop in Antwerp.

You can therefore imagine the parade of sensations I felt last weekend when I made my way there and saw the familiar logo. Joy, excitement, some jealousy towards antwerpeans... and a little fear at the fact that my strict budget for the trip was about to fly out the window.

Upon entering I immediately recognized a pattern in the decor. Wooden walls, tables, benches.. wooden everything basically, a loft style design with a small upstairs area from which the whole bar can be seen and the countless taps at the bar - I dare say that more than in any other Gollem I've visited.


I didn't immediately order from the taps though, focusing instead on Lindemans Oude Gueuze Cuvée René. I had heard and read good things about this beer and it didn't disappoint me at all. Unlike many of Lindemans beers, it doesn't have an overpowering sweetness to it. However, it doesn't have too much funk to it either. It has some sourness, but not enough to keep the oak and fruit from shining through. This makes it tasty and thirst quenching without being tiresome on the palate.


After the Cuvée René I decided to go for something big and dark. Instead of going cruising, I opted for De Struise's Pannepeut Real Ale, which they had on tap. I had already tried the bottled Pannepeut, but I had yet to try the Real Ale version. Just as creamy as the bottled one, it was obviously a little less carbonated but every bit as good. Dark fruits, roastiness, caramel and toffee, barely any bitterness and a lot of only slightly noticeable alcohol. Just what you want in a dark beer.

I don't know if it was the buzz I was already carrying, or something with an actual basis, but it seemed to me that the waiters were less stressed out than in their Dutch sister establishments and, as a result, were more tolerant with  their clients' shenanigans and absurdities and devoted more time to talk about the beers with them, although they seemed to be less familiar with all of their products. I guess it's a matter of time before they reach the same level of expertise.

Be that as it may, the Bier en Eetcafé Gollem in Antwerp carries the family name just as honorably as its sisters and leaves you with the same thought when you are reluctantly pried away from it by your other obligations: I can't wait to go back for another round.

Comments