South End Brewing Co.


I paid a visit to the Southend Brewery and Smokehouse in Charleston the other day.

This brewery, located in the heart of Charleston's downtown is one of my favorites when I come down to South Carolina more for its food and ambiance than necessarily for its beers.

Now this doesn't mean that their beers are bad. I really enjoyed their IPA in my previous visit and this time around I fell in love with their Love Me Two Times Blonde, a tremendously tasty and easy to drink blonde ale. It is true however their Castle Pinckney Pale Ale is not my favorite, as I find the hops used made it too bitter and earthy, rather than citrusy and piney, flavorful in other words, which is how I like my American pale ales.

The food nevertheless compensates the minor fluke in the pale ale. The pepperoni and sausage pizza with goat cheese and roasted peppers I had the other day was an absolute explosion of delicious flavor in my mouth. I can also attest to the fact that, 5 days on, my girlfriend is still talking about how good the crab cakes she ordered were to anyone who will listen.



Another fantastic thing about this place is its size and layout. South End has three floors, the first one for the bar and restaurant and the other two for private event spaces. The brewing equipment itself is located in the middle of the rooms, inside a glass casing and across two floors. Half of the second floor is also used for fermenters and storage tanks. Most of the equipment is made with polished copper, giving it a very elegant and slightly old fashioned appearance. The bare brick walls and the abundance of wood contribute to the sleek feel all around, making it a place you can bring both your parents or your friends and feel at ease.

As a result, I have always had a good time when I go, which itself ensures that I will keep coming back.

Comments