Troubadour Magma


Origin: Belgium
Type: IPA
Color: Amber
Alcohol content: 9%
Recommended serving temperature: 7ºC/45ºF
Brewery: Brouwerij de Musketiers BVBA

I have chosen to write today about a very pleasant new discovery of mine, the Troubadour Magma.

I first tried this beer just a few days ago in my local neighborhood bar, El Estribo, and was deeply impressed. So much so that, despite my current tightness of funds and the amount of beer in my house after my trip to Más Que Cervezas on Sunday, I already went back there yesterday to have another couple of them.

The Troubadour Magma is intensely amber in color, with a large amount of soapy foam. Its smell is incredibly fruity, mixing citrus fruits like orange or mandarin, with some tropical fruit which I would probably describe as passion fruit, or even mango maybe.

Taste is more or less the same, with a lot of fruitiness up front and a hint of herbiness in the end as you swallow. This gives it a nice bitter end, but up to that point, one can wonder with a cause if this is indeed an IPA. Up to that moment, the beer mixes the slight bitterness given to it by the citrusy flavors with some sweetness from the tropical fruit taste. This is done incredibly well, without one overpowering the other, giving the whole thing a roundness which I find simply delightful.

In fact I find the beer itself simply delightful. It's no wonder I do, though, given that the brewery's webpage describes it as a mix of American IPA and Belgian Trippel, two of my favorite types of beers as this blog testifies.

Brouwerij de Musketiers has named its beers Troubadour because they hoped they would travel the world bringing pleasure and entertainment to people like troubadours did in the olden time. I don't know about the beer, but with 9%ABV, I can tell you that I was certainly pretty entertaining myself yesterday after a few of them.

In terms of pairing, given that spicy dishes are a classic for both IPAs and Trippels, I would suggest combining this for example with Cajun chicken  pasta, a traditional favorite of mine. In my case, while I manage to get my hands on a few bottles to drink and pair at home, I might just go down again to El Estribo today.

Comments