Paulaner Heffe-Weissbier Naturtrüb


Origin: Germany
Type: Weissbier
Color: Pale orange
Alcohol content: 5.5%
Recommended serving temperature: 7ºC/45ºF
Brewery: Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG
Webpage: http://www.paulaner.com/our-beer/hefe-weissbier-naturtrueb

Having written my last post about a beer I had just tried, today I have decided to do the opposite. I am going to write today about a traditional favorite of mine, the Paulaner Heffe-Weissbier Naturtrüb.

In my last post I said that I like to let some time go by between the first time I try a beer and the moment I actually write about it. I also like to try a beer several times before I write about it. This gives me some perspective, but also ensures that I do not go all hyperbolic on my posts and that way give a more balanced opinion of a beer.

If you think that will hold true today, however, I am afraid you have another thing coming.

I have said this is a traditional favorite of mine. This does not even begin to describe it. I do not remember a month going by since I tried it, in which I had not at least had a measly half a liter of this beer. Yet, in spite of this, I am not able to take some distance and write a post on it without raving about it. So be prepared, as the Boy Scouts would say.

Paulaner is one of the six traditional Bavarian breweries that have helped put Munich on the beerlover's map, being present as it has been since the beginning in the Oktoberfest. Yes, a pretty big deal. 

It is also probably the most well known, together with Franziskaner, out of these six, despite reportedly being only the eighth best selling German beer. 

Out of the different ones Paulaner brews, the Heffe-Weissbier Naturtrüb itself is their flagship beer.

It is a hazy pale and almost orange wheat beer, with a pretty significant amount of foam. However, in this beer the foam is pretty predictable and can still be controlled, as opposed to others like the Franziskaner, where once you pour you the foam keeps growing and you do not really know if if will overflow the glass (which it often does).

The sheer smell of this beer is relaxing and appeasing, composed of banana, wheat and bread, and the faintest touches of mandarin and cloves. I could almost spend all of my time taking long whiffs of it, were it not for how good it tastes.

Bananas are also the most present in the taste, even if it is not overpowering or excessive. It does nevertheless go perfectly with the malty sweetness and the body given to it by the wheat, which makes you feel like they did actually blend the fruit in there.

The wheat, the cloves and the mandarin help to somewhat balance out the overall sweetness in this beer's taste, giving it a slight dry finish which is very refreshing. This keeps you from getting tired and makes you crave more. It is a good thing that its density makes you eventually fill up, otherwise I would never get enough.

That is precisely the beauty of this beer, you can never get enough. Its soft and refreshing taste of bananas makes you crave it in the summer, and its creamy dense goodness makes it ideal to keep you warm in the winter. It is a great beer for every moment of the year.

Pair it in the winter with some nice German wursts and in the summer with something lighter, such as crab or smoked salmon and you will see just how well this beer adapts to all seasons.

To me, clearly one of the best German exports ever.

Comments