Bohemia Clásica




Origin: Mexico
Type: Pilsener
Color: Gold
Alcohol content: 5.3%
Recommended serving temperature: 10ºC/50ºF
Brewery: Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma


Today I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and write a post on a beer from the Heineken Company.

I do not plan to make this a habit of mine. It is the first time, and probably one of the few, I will ever do so.

However, I tried this beer the other day and I have to say, I genuinely liked it. Now, again, this is probably the first time I have ever caught myself using those words to express my feelings towards a beer owned by Heineken.

I cannot therefore, as I write these lines, repress a certain feeling of shame and guilt on my part. It's not only that I have had this beer, but I have the audacity of writing about it for the world to know. This makes this post the equivalent of showing your face in front of your friends the morning after a drunken night in which you have wound up going home with Shrek.

I will nonetheless stand by my actions with whatever dignity you may judge I have left.

The Bohemia Clásica is a gold colored pilsener, with a moderate to low amount of white foam which in any case disappears fast. 

It has an unexpectedly complex smell  from which you can get some malty sweetness, mixed in with soft citric fruit. I would not go as far as calling it lemon, as it is pretty soft and lacking the zest usual in lemon (the sweetness from the malt almost swallows it whole), but it is definitely citric. It also blends in some grainy notes and hoppy floral touches to the sweet fruitiness. This sheer variety of aromas is highly intriguing and pretty inviting to taste.

The tastes displayed are also pretty much the same. The sweetness of the malt is the dominating factor throughout, even though the floral to grassy touches are more present than they were in the smell. The freshness of the fruity citrics are not completely lost either, giving it an overall similar taste to an East Coast IPA, that is pretty balanced and varied. 

This similarity in any case ends at the bitterness, which is barely noticeable in the Bohemia due to the malt. It is nonetheless pretty telling that I have dreamed up such a comparison in my head between a mass-produced pilsener of the Heineken Company and one of my favorite types of beers, generally brewed by craft breweries and much more aromatic and tasteful (well duh) than the average Heineken.

It comes to show that this is not your average lager-y watery Heineken beer, but on the contrary a pretty good beer with actual flavor. 

Taking the above one step further, I dare even say that this is my favorite out of the different Mexican beers I have ever tasted (I welcome suggestions, or better yet invitations, to overthrow this assertion). In fact I would recommend it hands down to pair with Mexican food or any other spicy or highly flavorful dishes. An all-round pleasureful experience.

Comments