Westbrook White Thai




Origin: USA
Type: Witbier
Color: Dark amber
Alcohol content: 5%
Recommended serving temperature: 7ºC/45ºF
Brewery: Westbrook Brewing Co.
Webpage: http://westbrookbrewing.com/beers/year-round-beers/white-thai/

The Westbrook White Thai was the beer I had on the second stop in the Original Pub Tour of Charleston, the Blind Tiger.

I had already heard and read about this beer before. When I was hoping to be able to visit one or two South Carolina breweries, Westbrook Brewing Co. was one of the ones I looked into. Furthermore, the White Thai was one of the beers whose originality had struck me the most and I had read some good things about it. I was therefore intent on trying it and pretty stoked when I saw they had it at the Blind Tiger.

This bar and the Griffon where the one's whose selection caught my eye the most. I had to pick my battles because there was only time for one beer at each place on the tour but, even though whenever I go to a different bar I always have a slight sting of sadness for the beers I could have tried and did not. But in this case I am very happy with choosing this beer.

It is a witbier, therefore hazy, but slightly darker than the average one, ranging somewhere between amber and ochre in color. 

The amount of foam it has is really pretty impressive. Its color is a bit more creamy than really white and it has a soft feel to it.

Its general appearance is therefore more that of a darker German weissbier than a traditional Belgian witbier, but it has a very original smell and taste which gives this beer a personality all of its own.

It has a very vivid smell of lemongrass, which is different from the usual orange peel and coriander from Belgian witbiers, but somehow not out of tune from what you would expect from its appearance and even fresher, which makes it very appealing.

The lemongrass is still quite present in the taste, but it is joined by some sort of spicy tinge, coming from the ginger root added to it, which gives it an interesting and unexpected turn. However, even more apparent in the taste is the wheat, which comes to give it more consistency and body. It also makes the end a bit dry but rounder, making the sting from the ginger disappear.

The end result is a very refreshing beer, with a vivid taste at the beginning but one which dies down as the wheat kicks in, giving it a nice full body and a round, slightly dry end.

Definitely a very good beer to have in a backyard terrace in a nice mild climate like Charleston, as was my case, and at a 5%ABV, mild enough to allow me to move on to the next one (some fried green tomatoes assisting). 

If I already had a keen interest on visiting the Westbrook brewery, I have to say the refreshing White Thai has only increased it. I will clearly have to stop by next summer, see if it is open.

Comments