Brewferm Diabolo and New Horizons

Last time I posted about my home brewing adventures, I had brewed a steroid filled weizen with the help of my Mr. Beer hopped malt extract (HME) and my trusty booster. At that point I mentioned how I wanted to push my limits and experiment a little more with my next batch. Well I have, only not exactly for my next batch.

For my next batch I simply used another HME, Brewferm's Diabolo, to brew a strong Belgian ale without any additives and without making any changes whatsoever to the recipe. I won't therefore use up many more lines talking about it.

I will only mention that it was the first time I bottled part of the output in glass bottles (some of my plastic PET bottles got "lost")  and it makes a world of a difference, both in carbonation and in conditioning. This ultimately trickles down into the taste. I will therefore be using glass bottles as much as possible from now on.

I am now collecting and washing every single bottle of beer I drink in a race against the clock, because last week I brewed what is my most ambitious batch to date, which will hopefully yield a little over 15 liters and about which I will post tomorrow.

In order to be able to do so I had to first increase the capacity of my brewkit, with which I could only brew 9 liters at a time at the most.

Seizing the opportunity, in what I can only define as an outbreak of temerity, I decided to go full fledge and upgrade all of my equipment and, instead of just buying a bigger fermenter, I bought an all-grain system. This means that, instead of using malt extract, I now have a mash tun, I can choose my own grain, mash it, boil it and hop it myself. In other words, I can make my beer from scratch. This will allow me more flexibility to customize and experiment every step of the way, but will also give me a chance to screw up my beer pretty royally, instead of just in a controlled way.

Comments