Beer, beer, beer and more beer


I am all for accountability. This might seem strange coming from a Spaniard, considering there barely is any in this country (judging and frowning sure, accountability not really), but I do support it. As such, I feel I owe an explanation for my reduced activity on the blog the past few weeks.

One would think that with the Christmas holidays I would have more time to write my posts, I definitely had time to try more beers, lots more beers. But nope. Actually this Christmas season and the beginning of the year have been pretty hectic for me, to the point where even now as I write this I am severely sleep deprived (I therefore apologize in advance if this post is a little incoherent at times).

In my defense though, I don't know if this will qualify as an excuse, but most of these activities that have kept me away from the blog have been beer related.


To start with, I have embarked on a mission to promote craft beer in Spain. With that in mind, a friend and I have created SinviBeer, a company whose purpose is to organize craft beer events in Spain and assist Spanish craft brewers in disembarking in other countries such as Belgium or the US. This has led me to tour a few craft breweries around Madrid to hold meetings, and talk to just about every craft brewer in the country in the last couple of weeks.

Also on the business side of craft beer, I am currently enrolled in Portland State University's Business of Craft Brewing online program, having started taking two courses barely ten days ago. My initial idea in enrolling in this program is not to have SinviBeer crash to the ground in a big fireball, although I am starting to seriously toy with the idea of opening my own craft brewery.


One thing's for sure though, if I were to open my own craft brewery it wouldn't be with me as a master brewer. 

My second crack at homebrewing has yet to take place (presumably this weekend), but I have been brushing up on the subject during the holidays, thanks amongst other things to the books my girlfriend's family gave me for Christmas.

I haven't really had the chance to ponder on how they view me, bearing in mind every present they have given me since I have been dating their daughter is beer related, as I've been busy looking through the cooking with beer books that both my girlfriend and my own family gave me and attempting to recreate their recipes.

As if that wasn't enough beer activity, I still managed to find some time to actually drink too. I not only had my New Beers Eve, but also several more beer tasting days with my friends, as a result of which I can now rest my beer books on my protuberant tummy in a position comfortable enough to read without having to use my hands, thereby allowing me to hold more beer in them.

In short what I'm saying is that my beer obsession has made it hard for me to write about beer as often lately, but rest assured, I will shape up (hopefully literally too) and get back to writing soon.

Comments