Biercafe Gollem

What: Beer cafe
Where: Amsterdam, Netherlands (4 Raamsteeg)
Hours: Weekdays 4pm-1am. Weekends 12pm-3am

Photos courtesy of Chi Gal Lauren

I feel compelled to make Cafe Gollem my first post on a place to find great beers outside of Madrid. 

This great biercafe in Amsterdam is in very large part the culprit for my taste for beer and, indirectly, for this blog. Going there almost on a weekly basis for a whole year with my friends not only gave me a chance to try as many different Belgian and Dutch beers as my liver and my head could withstand, but it also taught me to appreciate beer.

Photos courtesy of Chi Gal Lauren
I can't really say exactly how many beers they have, especially because they tend to change it up and they never have exactly the same ones, but as you can see from the lists on the walls, it's definitely a lot.

You can find all of your most common Belgian beers, including all of the Trappists originating from there (even Westvleteren XII), plus many rarer delicacies. This was for example the place where I first got to try the outstanding Brugge Tripel, the Rochefort 10, or the Zottegemse Grand Cru.

When it opened it was one of the first places in Amsterdam to offer Belgian beers, and now it is leading the way by including quite a few craft beers from the region of the Benelux. As such, you can now find quite a few beers from close-by Brouwerij 'T Ij, or from De Molen, to name but a couple.

Photos courtesy of Chi Gal Lauren
It has three different locations. 

The original Biercafe Gollem, where I have gone most often is located in 4 Raamsteeg, right by the Red Light District and next to Spui and the Singel canal. 

The second Biercafe Gollem, which was opened in the artisty and trendy De Pijp, is located in 74 Daniel Stalpertstraat. 

Gollem's Proeflokaal, in 160-162 Overtoom right next to Museumplein, where the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk Museum and the Van Gogh Museum are located, is their biggest location, serving food as well as having the biggest selection of beers in their fridges.

I have only been to the original in Raamsteeg and to the Proeflokaal, so I can't give an opinion on the one in De Pijp (I've got it on my radar for next year's trip). Regarding the other two though, I can tell you that the Biercafe in Raamsteeg has the friendliest patrons and the most knowledgeable barkeeps I have seen in Amsterdam, all ready to give you their suggestions for your next round, while the Proeflokaal is the most happening spot for the weekend, packed to the brim with university students having dinner and a few beers before going out.

There are now quite a few bars in Amsterdam offering Belgian beers of course, but very few have the charm and selection of Gollem, making it an inexcusable place to visit in any trip to Amsterdam.


The pictures for this post have been generously provided to me by my friend and fellow blogger Lauren who, unlike me, did not let the beers keep her from seeing the bigger picture and, most important, immortalizing it. Thank you Lauren!!

Comments

  1. Great post! Glad I could help with the pictures! With their beer selection it is very easy to get distracted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment